Feeding America Southwest Virginia (FASWVA) in partnership with Goodwill Industries ® of the Valleys, will provide Culinary Arts training to qualified unemployed and under-employed individuals. This will include hands-on culinary training and soft skills employment training.
Students will learn basic culinary arts techniques such as knife skills, food safety, nutrition, tool and equipment use, and how to understand standardized recipes and create menus. Also, students will learn and apply the skills necessary to take and pass “ServSafe Manager” certification, a nationally recognized credential on food safety.
The 12-week training program will be held in the new production kitchen at the FASWVA / Food Lion Feeds Community Solutions center (2328 Melrose Avenue, NW, Roanoke, VA 24017).
Applicants who wish to enroll in the Culinary Arts Training program must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess basic literacy and math skills at an 8th-grade level; high school graduate or GED preferred
- Speak English fluently
- Have a legal right to work in the US
- Be able to stand and work for 6 hours, able to lift 35 lbs, and able to perform frequent bending
- Must consent to a criminal background/history and Virginia Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registry check*
- Pass a drug screening
For more information, contact Goodwill Industries of the Valleys at (540) 581-0620, ext. 1258
Want to apply the program? Fill out the interest form!